Frequently Asked Questions


Level of proficiency in French

The level of proficiency test indicates that I am at level A2.1. Should I enrol on an A2.1 course or progress straight to an A2.2 course?
The level of proficiency test indicates the level at which you should enrol. If your result is level A2.1, you should enrol on an A2.1 course.

How can I progress from one level to another?
The course levels at the Alliance Française Bruxelles-Europe follow the recommendations of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages which provides a common basis for designing curricula and qualifications.
Each level is divided into sub-levels. For example, level A2 consists of levels A2.1 and A2.2. To progress from one sub-level to another (from level A2.1 to level A2.2), you must complete 60 hours of lessons. 60 hours of lessons are equivalent to:

Find out more about proficiency levels

I took the level of proficiency test three months ago. Is it still valid?
Yes, the proficiency test is valid for a year.


I am currently learning French in a group course or workshop at the Alliance Française Bruxelles-Europe. Does this give me priority enrolment?
Unfortunately, we are unable to reserve a place for you on one of our courses, because we are enrolling new students every day. We strongly advise you, therefore, to enrol as quickly as possible, even if you are already a student on one of our courses. Classes are sometimes full 3 weeks before the start of the course.

What is the deadline for enrolment on group courses and workshops?
Online enrolment ends one week before the session begins. Plan your enrolment ahead and please note the payment deadline, as your enrolment will not be confirmed until we have received your fee.
We can enrol you at our reception at the Alliance Française Bruxelles-Europe until the last Friday before the session begins. Your chances of getting a place on your chosen course will, however, be limited.

What happens if there are not enough participants enrolled on a group course or workshop?
If the number of people enrolled is too low, we will be forced to cancel the course. In this case, you will receive a full refund (excluding any bank charges incurred).

What happens if my payment does not reach you in time?
Your enrolment might be cancelled, if your course has filled up in the meantime and there are no places remaining.

I’d like to amend my enrolment. What is your cancellation and refund policy?
To learn about our cancellation and refund policy, please consult our general conditions of sale.

A member of my family is already enrolled on one of your courses. Do I qualify for a discount when I enrol for a course, too?
Your enrolment is personal. We do not offer special discounts to people who have a family member who is already enrolled with us.


Can I obtain a visa by enrolling on one of your courses?
We do not provide any information relating to visas. You should contact the Belgian consulate or embassy in your country of residence. Upon request, we can issue you with proof of enrolment for the relevant period. We can only do this, however, when we have received your payment and your enrolment has been confirmed.

Do you issue a student card?
Yes, we issue one to all students enrolled on Alliance Française Bruxelles-Europe group courses and workshops. You can get one at reception, on production of proof of identity and a passport-size photograph.
The card will enable you to borrow documents from the ‘Espace Jean-Pierre de Launoit’ Resource Centre.


What is the difference between the DELF-DALF and the TCF?
The DELF (Diploma in French Studies) and the DALF (Diploma in Advanced French) are diplomas awarded to candidates who have passed an assessment. They allow the validation of competence in French at a given level. There are 6 levels (from A1 to C2) determined by the CECR (Common European Framework of Reference for Language) and have lifelong validity.
The TCF (French Language Test) is a test of standard which enables the level attained by each candidate in respect of the 6 levels of the CECR to be determined. All candidates receive a certificate which positions them at one of the six levels (from A1 to C2) of the scale of competence of these standards. It is, therefore, impossible to fail the TCF. The TCF is valid for a period of two years.

I wish to make an immigration/Nationality application and the information on the official sites is not very clear, can you advise me?
Unfortunately not. The authorities change the rules frequently and we are not able, or qualified, to advise you on the choice of test. If you have questions on the type of examination/test that you need to supply for a specific application, we suggest you contact the institutions concerned.

I am not a student with the Alliance française de Bruxelles-Europe, can I enrol with you to sit a certification or a test?
Yes, if you satisfy our access conditions, you can enrol to sit a certification or a test with us. You will not, however, benefit from the preferential rates which are reserved for our students.

In the event of failure, is there a compulsory waiting period before it is possible to re-sit an examination?
Only the TCF imposes a waiting period before re-sitting the test. For more information please see the CIEP website for details of the applicable period, depending on the TCF sat (General, ANF, Quebec, DAP). Other certifications that we offer do not impose any waiting period before re-sitting the examination/test.

If I pass the DELF-DALF with a low mark, can I re-sit to improve my mark?
A candidate can only re-sit a diploma that he/she already holds by renouncing the acquired diploma in writing (letter to be sent to the CIEP), before the examination session. Warning: any candidate who is unsuccessful on the second attempt will lose the initial diploma!

Are special arrangements available for candidates living with disability?
Yes. When enrolling, the candidate should specify this and provide an official document from a medical authority or any locally- recognised organisation. It is impossible to issue guidelines that respond to all situations. Please contact us when enrolments commence.


Entrance examination

How can I prepare for the written paper for the entrance examination?
To prepare, we advise you to revise grammar and spelling to reach the best possible level of written French. We recommend the Grevisse and Sorbonne grammar texts and spelling summaries, for example. Regularly monitoring the news is also recommended. To help you prepare for the examination, you can consult an example of the written examination for the entrance examination: annals 2015 and annexes 2015.

To be accepted on the course do I need to sit a competition or an examination requiring a mark over 10 or 12/20?
Entrance to the course is via a competition for the limited number of places. A minimum mark of 60 % is required for the entrance examination. Only the 22 best candidates will be selected at the end of the oral admission examination.

What are the assessment criteria for the written examination?
The assessment criteria for the summary and argumentative text are those of the DALF. You will find the written production grids for the DALF C1 on pages 18-19 of this document you can download here.

How long are the results of this entrance examination valid? Can I sit the entrance examination more than once?
The results of the entrance examination are valid for 2 years and you can sit the examination once each academic year.


If the DPAFB recognised by the French community in Belgium?
No, but it is a recognised diploma in Alliances françaises, private language institutes and language schools in Belgium. There is a convention with the Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL) which enables validation, after teacher training, of the skills acquired in a Masters in FFL, for certain subjects, following examination of your application by a panel. This convention does not dispense with the requirement to follow the enrolment procedures for a Masters in FFL with the UCL.
The Masters at UCL concerned are the Masters in French and Roman Languages and Literature (general orientation, for teaching purposes or FFL orientation, specialist purposes) and the Masters in Modern Languages and Literature (general orientation, for the purpose of specialising in FFL-ROGE). The FFL Masters at UCL will allow you to teach in the public system. Each year, a certain number of Teacher Training graduates follow this path.

What are the differences between the DAEFLE diploma awarded by the CNED and the DPAFB awarded by the Alliance française de Bruxelles-Europe? Are the future outlets the same?
Teacher training with the Alliance française de Bruxelles-Europe is a face-to-face practical course which gives you the opportunity to go into a real FFL class, in everyday working conditions.
Preparation for the DAEFLE (Diploma of Aptitude to Teach French as a Foreign Language) awarded by the CNED is a theoretical distance-learning course. We are a centre for sitting the entrance test and for the final examination.
For additional information on this course, please click here and here.

Can I combine this course with my working life?
Yes. Lessons take place in the evening from Monday to Thursday. Three intensive weeks of lessons take place during the academic year (one in November, one in January and one in April). Please consult the course calendar for the dates. Teacher training courses involve personal work outside of lessons. Work to be handed in is announced long in advance to enable you to organise yourself.

Can I obtain a dispensation for certain lessons?
No, you must attend lessons to obtain the DPAFB.