A genuine asset for careers in international relations
10 good reasons to learn French:
1. French is the language of the three cities that are home to the European institutions: Strasbourg, Brussels and Luxemburg. It is also one of the 3 official languages in Belgium.
2. It is the working and official language of the United Nations, the European Union, UNESCO, NATO and international courts.
3. It is the 2nd most-taught foreign language in the world, after English and the 5th most widely-spoken language.
4. It is the 2nd most widely-used language for international information in the media.
5. It is the 3rd most widely-used language on the internet.
6. Encouraging the learning of French in your institution will improve the quality of communications and defend multilingualism.
7. According to forecasts from the International Organisation of la Francophonie, French-speakers will number 700 million in 2050, three times more than in 2014.
For your staff:
8. It will facilitate their daily life and enable them to expand their social network in Brussels.
9. It will also give them access to the numerous cultural activities on offer in the capital.
10. Giving them French provides them with an additional skill, which stimulates them both professionally and intellectually.